As a parent, their main focus is always their children and the success they achieve. Many parents want to provide for their children what they did not have growing up, and just want them to be the best they can in life. Confidence in children is directly correlated with self esteem for kids and this all links back to the parent. Parenting skills are so vital! The more confidence in kids, the more success they will come into.
Here are the tips:
- Listen – Listening to people will get you very far in life. You cannot always be the one talking and be the center of attention. Listening carefully and really paying attention will allow people to process information and become genuine.
- Respect– There is nothing more important than learning the importance of respect and knowing how to be respectful. It is important to treat people the way that you would like to be treated and as a parent, respect needs to be taught.
- Communicate – Communicating effectively will raise someone’s self esteem immensely. The ability to speak to someone and get your point across is a great quality. Again with parenting, this is something that needs to be taught and also practiced.
- Dedicate Time – Dedicating time for your loved ones will make them know how important they really are to you. There is time for work, play, and focusing on family. It can be something as simple as family dinners together for an hour or so.
- Teach – Parents cannot assume that their children will just know how to do things, they need to be taught! Parents need to lead by example as well, they cannot tell their children not to do something if they constantly do it themselves, and it will not work that way.
- Support – Everyone needs a support system no matter how young or old they are. Knowing that you are not alone and have people to confide in and talk to is very important. Most people have their families as their strongest support system, but sports teams, art classes, school; those are all great support systems also.
- Correct – Correcting poor behavior is important. One cannot allow their children to continue to do something over and over the wrong way or allow them to be disrespectful. Addressing the issue and suggesting how it will not be tolerated must occur otherwise the bad habit will just continue.
- Reinforce – Reinforcing ground rules should be common sense, but it really isn’t apparently. So many times have there been articles about, my children walk all over me – why? Children need rules to follow and they must be reinforced. If an answer is “no,” that’s the answer, no explanation is needed! If your child’s bedtime is 8 o’clock, it’s 8 o’clock not 9 or 10.
- Live – Living may seem like a weird tip, but living the way and practicing the rules that are laid down is equally as important for the parent as it is for the children.
- Relax – It is so easy to get wrapped up in everyday life and the struggles that the world has to offer. Take a breather and relax, you really deserve it! Having family and friends is what is important, there is no need to stress out over every little issue – life is just to short for that nonsense.
These are ten tools to keep in mind when bringing up kids or growing up yourself! Over time people just grow accustomed to certain ways and pick up bad habits. Life doesn’t have to be stressful and everyone deserves to be successful!